Table of Contents
The technique of delivering a message using written symbols is referred to as written communication. In other terms, written communication refers to any message communicated between two or more people using written language. In our daily lives, we’ve seen several forms of written communication in the form of news. A message can be sent by email, letter, report, memo, and other forms of written communication. The information is affected by the vocabulary and grammar employed, writing style, precision, and clarity of the language used in written communication.
As the world developed and communication broadened between city to city, country to country and final continent to continent; email, internet, websites, letters, proposals, telegrams, faxes, postcards, contracts, ads, brochures, and press releases were used to communicate with the outside world in writing.
Communication is essential when it comes to business matters, specifically written communication. Therefore, in business, written communication is the most frequent mode of communication. As a result, it is considered essential among business talents. Memos, reports, bulletins, job descriptions, staff manuals, and electronic mail are all examples of internal written communication.
Call for Applicants - tBSC Thought Leader AwardLink to joining the competition - https://form.typeform.com/to/zhmnpax0
For years the call for New Business Models is getting stronger, louder, more clear and finds resonance. We need new business models
The economy needs it, the planet needs it, the future needs it.
Now, as a community of forward thinkers, we the Black Sheep Community, a community for New Thought Leadership
organize an event on New Business Models.
On June 15th, we organize International Black Sheep DAY 2022, around the theme of New Business Models. And we invite you, challenge you, for the tBSC New Business Models Award.
Write 1 A4 or 2 min video with your idea for a new business model, or your business model that you want to innovate
On International Black Sheep DAY 2022 we’ll hand a trophy to you
but more important: we as a community of forward thinkers will gather our Masterminds to take your Business Model to the next level.
Where is written communication used?
There are several instances where written communication is preferred over any other type of communication. One of those instances is when the information to be conveyed is lengthy and includes specific complicated terminology that cannot be articulated verbally. While other times written communication is vital because most organizations save their papers in writing to be used as a reference and proof of any future transaction. As a result, firms must acquire excellent writing abilities and instill them in their workers.
Moreover, the right choice of words, their organization into correct sentence sequence, and the cohesion of the sentences all contribute to the efficacy of written material. Written information is regarded to be more lawful and valid than spoken speech.
Furthermore, individuals place a greater emphasis on written information than on what is expressed vocally. However, unlike verbal communication, written communication does not provide a quick response since it is not spontaneous and takes time to translate into an intelligible form. Furthermore, individuals place a greater emphasis on written information than on what is expressed vocally.
Types of written communication
Humans have excelled in finding new, creative, and innovative ways to communicate with each other. Transactional, persuasive, informative, and instructional written communication are the four forms of written communication. However, remember that whatever type of written communication you choose, make sure to write clearly and concisely while maintaining the appropriate degree of formality. It would be best to address the most critical topics your audience wants to know and ensure your writing tone is consistent with your company’s identity.
5 Advantages of written communication
As previously mentioned, written communication is one of the most utilized forms of communication, specifically in the business industry. Therefore, accompanying this type of communication are many advantages that you should keep in mind when deciding which type of communication to use in certain circumstances. In the following few paragraphs, we will be discussing a few advantages that written communication provides.
- The first advantage of written communication is the clarity and clear understanding that accompanies it. In written communication, the recipient can read the message many times until they fully comprehend it. Furthermore, there is a lower chance of losing or missing any section of the communication. If the receiver does not understand the message, it cannot be repeated via oral transmission. As a result of the receiver’s ability to read the news several times, written communication provides a clear and comprehensive grasp of the message.
- Moreover, written communication is used in a variety of situations where other means of communication are ineffective. Organizational policies, objectives, rules, and regulations, as well as mission, directives, motivations, production techniques, and each employee’s areas of duty, are all preserved in writing. No other kind of communication is as effective as it is in the rooms as mentioned above.
- Furthermore, written communication serves as an organization’s permanent record and may be valuable for future reference. Previous instructions and decisions, for example, might serve as guides for future decisions. Last year’s reports are beneficial for developing new policies and adjusting existing goals. In the event of a lawsuit, the substance of written communication is admissible as evidence.
- Another advantage is that we can avoid wasting time and money if the following steps are taken. Waste of money and time can be avoided when written communication is used because all parties communicating can share ideas without meeting. In addition to that, written communication provides an accurate presentation. Top executives may communicate information more correctly and clearly through written communication. Because it is a legal document, everyone takes great care in drafting it.
- Written communication also decreases the chances of distortion. In oral communication, the recipient may lose specific points during speaking. However, because the content of the message is written, the likelihood of distortion is relatively minimal with written communication. And finally, written communication instills trust in the minds of those affected by the message since it is permanent. And this self-assurance boosts morale and pushes individuals to act quickly.
3 Disadvantages of written communication
Even though written communication has many advantages, it also has many limitations and disadvantages that make it less superior than other communication forms. However, it’s important to remember that when you are picking a form of communication, it’s vital to think through the advantages and disadvantages of each type and see if the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.
- Written communication is both time-consuming and costly. A letter (written message) can take two or three days to reach its intended recipient, but an oral communication message can be conveyed in a matter of seconds over the phone. Not only is written communication time-consuming, but it is also costly. It is expensive since a group of individuals prepares and distributes an organization’s letter, and their time is essential. It also includes the cost of acquiring paper, ink, typewriters, printing machines, and maintaining such equipment and machinery.
- Another disadvantage is that written communication usually doesn’t provide personal Intimacy. On the other hand, in oral communication, the sender and receiver speak directly to one other, developing an intimate relationship. However, the lack of direct connection between and among the participants is not feasible in textual communication. Moreover, in written communication, the sender uses the chance to flatter the receiver if the former is interested in the latter. When the sender attempts to avoid criticism from others, they may flatter and exaggerate the facts in the written letter.
- Furthermore, an important letter or message may get filed away without being read. The individuals involved do so on purpose, causing a delay in the processing of information. Quick decision-making is impeded as a result of this red tape. And lastly, while communicating in writing, several pre-determined protocols must be followed. Observing such procedures is a time-consuming task. Due to the lack of flexibility in textual communication, any necessary changes immediately are not feasible.