Table of Contents
The importance of leadership in management cannot be overemphasized; it plays a vital role in forming an organization’s culture.
The progress, performance, and lifespan of any organization depend heavily on its management. Both old and newly established organizations, ranging from small to medium to large scale, require a solid management plan to succeed.
Management leadership can create goals, inspire workers, make fast decisions, and achieve their goals.
Call for Applicants - tBSC Thought Leader AwardLink to joining the competition - https://form.typeform.com/to/zhmnpax0
For years the call for New Business Models is getting stronger, louder, more clear and finds resonance. We need new business models
The economy needs it, the planet needs it, the future needs it.
Now, as a community of forward thinkers, we the Black Sheep Community, a community for New Thought Leadership
organize an event on New Business Models.
On June 15th, we organize International Black Sheep DAY 2022, around the theme of New Business Models. And we invite you, challenge you, for the tBSC New Business Models Award.
Write 1 A4 or 2 min video with your idea for a new business model, or your business model that you want to innovate
On International Black Sheep DAY 2022 we’ll hand a trophy to you
but more important: we as a community of forward thinkers will gather our Masterminds to take your Business Model to the next level.
What is Management?
Management is defined as the process by which affairs of an organization are administered, irrespective of nature, type, and size. It is also the art and act of creating an atmosphere where every organization member can work hand in hand. To achieve objectives (short term, medium-term, and long-term) effectively.
Management leadership involves putting all resources, men, money, machines, and strategy to achieve the desired result. A well-managed organization can effectively grow and has high chances of surviving hard times. For example, the planet experienced a pandemic last year (2020) – many organizations with poor leadership in management could not survive the economic crisis caused by the pandemic. Whereas, some companies survived the crisis because of the solid leadership in management that had been in place before time.
In our world today, we have different organizations, both profit inclined and non-profit. Both have helped our society in:
- attaining individual goals,
- preservation of knowledge by keeping achievements for the coming generations and
- provision of career opportunities to individuals.
What are the levels of Leadership in Management?
- Top-Level Management: This level is the highest level of leadership in the management of any organization, which includes organization pioneers, Board of Directors, and Chief Executives. Objectives, policies, and strategies are usually made at this level.
- Middle-Level Management: This is the second level and probably the most critical level in the hierarchy. This level creates a connection between the top and the lower-level management. This level includes departmental and divisional heads who are in positions to implement control plans and strategies stated by the top-level management.
- Lower-level management: This is the operational level management. This is where all tasks will be carried out.
Why is Leadership in Management important?
Now that we have an idea of management, let’s discuss the importance of leadership in management. The importance of leadership in management will help to build the proper management structure. The importance includes:
- It helps to plan properly
Leadership in management helps draw out processes needed; the right moves to achieving goals (both short-term and long-term). There is a famous saying – failing to plan is planning to fail. The existence of leadership in management will fuel proper planning.
- It helps to achieve goals and objectives
After planning has been done, the next thing to set reasonable goals. Leadership in management helps to achieve goals and objectives that have been planned. Management leadership will help to devise means and strategies to achieve these goals and objectives.
- Sense of focus and direction
It is needed for an organization to be focused on its aims. Management leadership is a vital tool in keeping an organization focused. An organization without focus will be stagnant and also put members into confusion. Also, the business can be thrown into disarray.
Leadership in management helps to foresee or anticipate a problem. It also develops means to cope with them to keep the organization on track.
- Organization for optimum usage of resources
Leadership in management helps organize an organization that involves defining roles, grouping roles, establishing authorities and frameworks – that can help in attaining set goals and objectives. An adequately organized group or organization will do better with teamwork; compared to a disorganized group. Leadership in management helps assign resources – both human and technology to areas where they are most needed.
Management leadership will help to assign roles to an individual based on their strength. This will help the organization to perform at its maximum strength. It will save time and resources.
- Maintaining responsibility and order.
Leadership in management helps to organize an institution. So that everyone knows what they are expected to do at every point in time, an employee can be held responsible and accountable under this system. Orderliness is essential for an organization in coping with unforeseen problems and also in tackling them.
- Getting the most qualified personnel for the Job
Leadership in management helps with staffing. Staffing means to select, develop, maintain, and utilize personnel – in a way that can move the organization towards attaining goals economically and effectively. This is essential as it helps the organization in discovering skilled individuals to fill various positions. This leads to high performance and productivity.
- Reduced workload
Effective management will help in the proper assigning of duties and activities. This will help to reduce workload and also improve efficiency. Leadership in management helps with good man-management. Everyone will be happy and motivated. Which in return gives high efficiency and productivity.
Leadership and Management
Leadership and management are synonymous but have differences too. Management leadership is critical. As an essential component of management, leadership creates an environment for exploitation and excellence. A manager must have good leadership skills. Leaders influence and motivate others to accomplish a common goal. This influence is essential in management.
Difference between leadership and management
Leadership differs from management in many ways, they include:
- Delegation of authority and responsibilities: A manager delegates authority and responsibilities, but a leader provides direction by inspiring people.
- A manager gets the authority by position, but a leader gets his power from the followers.
- A manager follows a company’s policy and guidelines; a leader follows his instincts. A manager follows the values of the company while a leader creates his values.
- A manager is mainly concerned with the administrative work in the company; a leader gets more involved in the operations in the company.
- A leader deals with practical experience with people, while a manager deals with the technical aspects of the business.
- A leader is proactive, while a manager is reactive.
- A manager evaluates people base on their age, record, and present performance, while a leader evaluates people based on their potentials.
- A manager deals with metrics, while a leader deals with things that cannot be measured.
- A manager administrates in a designated manner, while a leader is more flexible and creative.
These points further show that the role of leadership in management cannot be underrated.
Traits of a leader needed in management.
An executive of a company can either be a leader or a manager. It will show how they do their things. Before you decide if a person is a leader or a manager, here are some apparent traits to look at:
Strong character: A strong character is not exhibited facially. A person with a strong character is mainly noticed when there are challenges. It cannot be measured by being an introvert or an extrovert. It is of the mind. It should be a person who is not shy of challenges.
Inspiration: A leader must be able to inspire others. It doesn’t have to be only when you speak; your actions should be inspiring. He inspires people to fulfill their potentials.
Motivation: A leader must be able to motivate people. Who are the people you motivate? People who have lost interest in doing some things. Motivating people is like waking up a dead. He believes in people irrespective of their record.
Good communication skills: A leader doesn’t interact with people the same way. Some people need special attention than the rest of the team. A leader opens the door for opinions and criticism.
Honesty and integrity: A leader must be honest. They act in the line of what they say. People quickly lose trust in anyone they can’t trust.
Optimism: A leader looks into the future. They see where the company will be in the future and plan for it. Even when the plans are not working well, he doesn’t give up.
Responsibility: A leader takes responsibility for people. He doesn’t take glory for the success; he instead gives the team the appraisal. He makes decisions and takes responsibility for it.
Answers: A leader finds answers to challenges. He shows support during challenging times and holds the team together.
Visions: A leader creates a new vision for the company. He looks at what the market will be like in the future and encourages the team to go for it.
To take your organization to the next level, you need leadership in management. Leaders give the support for the followers to excel. Leaders will create opportunities for continuity in management. You can join us today at The Black Sheep Community, where future leaders are being trained.