Table of Contents
- 1 What Is Leadership Development Coaching?
- 2 What Determines The Success Of A Leadership Development Coaching Program?
- 3 Methods Of Leadership Development Coaching
- 4 Factors To Consider When Formulating A Leadership Development Strategy
- 5 Challenges Faced By Leadership Development Strategy
Leadership Development Coaching: Leadership, in simple terms, means leading a group of followers to attain a common goal. Professor Warren G. Bennis describes leaders as people who do the right thing and manage people to do things right. Leaders set direction, develop an inspiring goal, and create an avenue for people to work and achieve that goal. Leaders must possess management skills to select the team, group, or organization on the right path to success. A leader carries and shoulders the team’s responsibility. He sees the motivation and inspiration that the team needs in himself.
Leadership is a behavior and not a position. Leaders don’t tell people what to do. Their leadership empowers people to make decisions that support the goals and vision of the organization.
What Is Leadership Development Coaching?
According to Wikipedia, Leadership Development Coaching is the process that helps expand the capacity of individuals to perform in leadership roles within an organization. It can also be characterized as activities that improve the skills, abilities, and confidence of leaders. Leadership development is a standard process in an organization’s succession planning, aimed at producing high-caliber leaders to take over senior positions when they become vacant. The most common example is soccer. There are first-team members, and also there are academy players. The aim of having academy players is to have homegrown players who will take over and play for the team when the old players are retired or transferred off of the team.
Call for Applicants - tBSC Thought Leader AwardLink to joining the competition - https://form.typeform.com/to/zhmnpax0
For years the call for New Business Models is getting stronger, louder, more clear and finds resonance. We need new business models
The economy needs it, the planet needs it, the future needs it.
Now, as a community of forward thinkers, we the Black Sheep Community, a community for New Thought Leadership
organize an event on New Business Models.
On June 15th, we organize International Black Sheep DAY 2022, around the theme of New Business Models. And we invite you, challenge you, for the tBSC New Business Models Award.
Write 1 A4 or 2 min video with your idea for a new business model, or your business model that you want to innovate
On International Black Sheep DAY 2022 we’ll hand a trophy to you
but more important: we as a community of forward thinkers will gather our Masterminds to take your Business Model to the next level.
High performers are typically identified for such leadership development coaching, which may be on a long-term or short-term basis, depending on the level of expertise. Each staff member is monitored and assessed by their superiors. They are watched over a long period, and then the best is recommended for higher positions. Using the example above (Soccer), some academy graduates come with a high recommendation from their youth coaches to the senior staff. They recommend them based on their current abilities, maturity, and potential abilities. The same thing happens in an organization. The best are the ones that are recommended.
Leadership Development Coaching focuses on developing the leadership abilities and attitudes of individuals. Different personal traits and characteristics can hinder or enhance a person’s leadership effectiveness. That is why people must go through some formalized programs for developing their leadership competence. Leadership skills can be learned, and it benefits both the individual and the organization sponsoring the program.
There is always a time in an organization’s history when there will be a change in leadership. That means that the organization’s fate at that point rests on the shoulders of the current leader. A change in direction can cause two things:
- A positive change can happen when a young and vibrant individual takes over an organization’s helm. Such a leader must be zealous and vision-guided. This person must possess all the qualities of a good leader.
- An unfavorable change: This happens when a bad leader takes over the organization. These are when the followers and staff grumble as a culture, which will affect work efficiency and productivity.
What Determines The Success Of A Leadership Development Coaching Program?
The success of a Leadership Development Coaching program is linked to three variables:
- Individual learner characteristics
- Quality and nature of the leadership development program
- Support for behavioral change from the leader’s supervisor
Methods Of Leadership Development Coaching
Leadership development coaching can take many forms depending on the nature of the organization’s work, ranging from formal instruction, developmental job assignments, 360-degree feedback, executive coaching, and self-directed learning.
These are formal leadership training and programs for leaders. This is called “traditional lecture-based classroom training.” The potential leaders are invited to a program in which elders will tutor them in the same profession. Many people question this method and have described it as an “easier said than done” process of coaching because the ability to translate what has been learned to a standard work setting is questionable.
Developmental Job Assignment:
This is when the potential leaders are assigned to coordinate or participate in some developmental assignments. This kind of assignment is one during which the potential leaders will learn, undergo personal change, and gain more leadership skills resulting from the roles, responsibilities, and tasks involved in that assignment.
This is a method whereby the potential leaders work with feedback and assessments made by people who have come in contact with them. The likely leader must be willing to embrace criticism.
This is more of one-on-one mentoring. It is intense, challenging, and at the same time, supportive. Coaching aims to move the leaders towards measurable goals that contribute to individual and organizational growth.
The leaders or individuals teach themselves necessary developmental skills.
Factors To Consider When Formulating A Leadership Development Strategy
- The support and commitment of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and the senior management team. Any leadership development strategy without the cooperation of the top officers is a mere waste of time.
- Alignment between human capital and the business strategy. Any organization’s leadership development strategy should be designed to support the corporate organizational system to create an avenue that will effectively impact both the organization and the individual.
- Financial resources and sustainability. The developmental leadership strategy will always take time, and resources will be consumed, so the developmental approach must be designed considering financial and other sustainable resources.
Challenges Faced By Leadership Development Strategy
- Lack of commitment by the top governing body of the organization.
- Limited or no resources for the strategy
- Lack of commitment by the members of the organization
- Lack of proper managerial and administrative systems
- And, Lack of technical know-how on how to implement the strategy
- Lack of a proper succession planning culture in the organization