Table of Contents
How to Overcome Apathy: Apathy is the word which is known as apatheia in Greek. It means ‘an insensitivity to’ or ‘freedom from’ interest or feeling. Apathy can be considered a complex neurobehavioral syndrome. It is also known as a lack of interest or a disorder of motivation. It is widely known as a neuropsychiatric feature of dementia.
Apathy makes a person indifferent towards others. It triggers the feeling of disconnection and detachment from the world. Apathy involves behavior in which a person, for instance, quits thinking or stops caring about everyday tasks, individual interests, and leisure activities. A person is also battling a personal relationship with the state of apathy. This person finds it challenging to spend time with others and experience mood changes. It is considered that apathy can be caused by dysfunction in specific brain areas. Some diseases include conditions of apathy:
- Chronic depression
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Huntington’s disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- Vascular dementia
- Frontotemporal dementia
Persistent apathy includes any signs of these types. There are three distinct types of indifference:
Behavioral apathy is the type of apathy in which a person is less inclined to feel inspired or less motivated.
Social apathy is the type of apathy in which a person experiences social detachment. It involves less attachment and interest towards any feelings.
Emotional: Emotional apathy involves a lack of concern. A person may not feel any affection and does not have any considerable interest in something that disturbs other people. There are fewer or no emotions expressed or thought by a person in this apathy.
Apathy and Depression
A person may have depression and apathy; however, depression does not always include disinterest. Without depression, some people experience symptoms of apathy, such as less interest and energy towards everyday tasks and a lack of motivation.
How do overcome apathy?
Here I’m going to explain How do overcome apathy?
Therapy is a safe place to deal with apathy. Apathy needs to be treated if it affects mental health. Therapy is a treatment that offers a place of refuge to talk through the thing which a person suffers from apathy. It helps in identifying methodologies to overcome apathy. A therapist is a person who assists in overcoming apathy. They can trace probable causes such as personal setbacks and significant misfortune, which numb a person. A therapist can play a crucial role in overcoming the apathetic person’s traumas and helps them strengthen their mental health. Learning better approaches to adapt to misery can assist you in adopting changes to deal with everyday life positively.
Treatment cannot straightaway help in dealing with conditions like Parkinson’s sickness or Alzheimer’s disease; however, support from an expert or trained person can, in any case, assist an apathetic person. It helps deal with various temperaments symptoms and the progressions accompanying moderate conditions.
The Food and Administration does not recommend any specific medications to overcome apathy until now. Nonetheless, medication can help a few conditions, which can help overcome apathy.
A medicine that a psychiatrist suggests will rely upon the most probable reason for persistent apathy. A couple of potential outcomes include:
• Cholinesterase inhibitors like donepezil (Aricept) and rivastigmine (Exelon), which can assist in dementia
• Antidepressants like paroxetine (Paxil) and bupropion (Wellbutrin, Zyban)
• Brain functions such as cerebral circulation and digestion stimulants that treat stroke
• Stimulants of dopamine such as ropinirole (Requip), which can assist with Parkinson’s illness
• Antipsychotics that overcome schizophrenia
• Some stimulants include methylphenidate (Ritalin), pemoline, and amphetamine), which
might help in overcoming apathy that has no known reason.
There are various changes that an apathetic person can make in their daily life to overcome apathy. Many people believe that medication is an effective way to treat any disease, but there are some changes in lifestyle which we can do by ourselves to overcome such disorders. In this way, there would be no need to take medication. Medication has its side effects, so it would be beneficial to treat any mild disease by adopting an optimistic approach in life rather than relying on medication.
To try new things while being apathetic would be difficult because a person is already unmotivated. However, it is always OKAY to start with a slow pace.
To overcome apathy, try to start with a new mindset. Develop willpower and recognize healthy ways of joy. When nothing in life appears to have any meaning, it would not be wrong to consider whether your interests moved/shifted or not.
Individuals change over time, and apathy can happen when the work or leisure activities you used to like and love would no longer give you joy and satisfaction. Hence, shift your focus, consider new activities, and develop a positive approach toward life. This would be a huge step in overcoming apathy.
If you spend your days in boredom or dull ways, then consider adding some vibrance to it; you can:
- Visit several types of restaurants and cafes
- Go for a long drive
- Investing energy in nature such as do gardening
- Go for busywork, such as rollerblading, bicycling, or paddleboarding.
Deal with your Necessities
It is very crucial to take care of and identify your basic needs. If you get exhausted, then it may also trigger apathy. Do not get exhausted by overworking, so spare some time for yourself. It is not considered changing your profession or cutting back on your work hours. Yet, if you frequently end up pushing yourself beyond the exhaustion point. Take or set some time for yourself in your routine.
- Have a healthy diet
- Remain hydrated
- Get sufficient rest
- Invest energy and spend time with loved ones consistently
- Have some fresh air and some sunlight
It is imperative to have some time without digital gadgets such as mobile phones, laptops, television, etc. In this era of digital life, we humans should know the need to have digital disconnection. It would help you overcome so many problems. For instance, today’s news is overwhelmed with challenging topics such as crimes, violence, COVID-19, and environmental crises. These types of information can undoubtedly trigger apathy, misery, and despair.
The most significant and effective way to overcome apathy is to transform it into motivation. Change in your standpoint will help in this transformation, and it is a solution for the apathy. Apathy is a deep river, and in the depth of this river of apathy, motivation helps you float. That motivation will play an essential role in moving out of the apathy. Motivation works as a life preserver in the river of apathy. This would work as attacking a problem or dealing with a problem right at its source. It is essential to overcome apathy and create the life that you want.
It would help differentiate between apathy and other feelings, which are not related to apathy. For instance, if a person is in leadership, they may feel unmotivated and unproductive. Those feelings could be originated from a lack of appreciation, enthusiasm, and continuous failure. That is an intolerable lethargy that can play a role in making you feel apathetic.
To overcome apathy, we should first analyze what triggers it. It’s always better to look for the cause and see the nature of the situation. If you fall into apathy, you have to figure out the reason behind it, sometimes it’s tiredness, and mostly it happens because of some trauma. Some specific things are commonly identified as the cause of apathy:
- You start feeling to be not self-sufficient. Sometimes, people stop believing that they are autonomous and start considering that they are incompetent, dependent, and unable to do something productive. They start thinking that they will face failure no matter how much effort they can put in.
- Sometimes you start to feel apathetic if you have to lack emotional support. Emotional support is critical; it provides a feeling of compassion and encouragement. There is the likelihood of falling into apathy if you are surrounded by people who lack interest in you and are not emotionally available for you when you need them the most.
- It’s crucial to develop willpower and energy. Because these two things are essential elements that work against apathy. However, the fear of leaving the comfort zone and fear of failure consume you. These things don’t allow you to establish willpower and energy. Thus, to overcome apathy, you need to leave your comfort zone and overcome the fear of failure.