Table of Contents
Creativity is not a new word to us, but there are different types of creativity. In the past, we might have been surprised by the level of creativity shown by a person. The truth is that creativity is meant for everybody.
In our professions, entrepreneurial, etc., creativity is needed for accessible works. You might have come across some people in the past, and you admire their creativity. We have given creativity lots of meanings. Creativity is the ability to do anything art (singing, dancing, drawing, carving, etc.). Also, to some, it is about creating something out of nothing.
While every meaning might be correct, we need to check what creativity means. According to the Merriam-webster dictionary, creativity means the ability to create. From all the examples listed above, every one of them had to do with bringing something into existence. Singers create music, artists and painters create images, and so on.
Call for Applicants - tBSC Thought Leader AwardLink to joining the competition - https://form.typeform.com/to/zhmnpax0
For years the call for New Business Models is getting stronger, louder, more clear and finds resonance. We need new business models
The economy needs it, the planet needs it, the future needs it.
Now, as a community of forward thinkers, we the Black Sheep Community, a community for New Thought Leadership
organise an event on New Business Models.
On June 15th, we organise International Black Sheep DAY 2022, around the theme of New Business Models.And we invite you, challenge you, for the tBSC New Business Models Award.
Write 1 A4 or 2 min video with your idea for a new business model, or your business model that you want to innovate
On International Black Sheep DAY 2022 we’ll hand a trophy to you
but more important: we as a community of forward thinkers will gather our Masterminds to take your Business Model to the next level.
In other meanings, creativity is defined as being clever, imaginative, innovative, and original. Later in this article, we will learn about a man involved in almost all aspects of humanity.
International Black Sheep Day 2022
To accomplish your tasks effectively, you need to be creative. This tells us that creativity is not meant for the gifted ones in artistic works. You can be creative in your profession to show the difference. If you do things the usual way it is done, you will not be different from others.
The world is changing into the world of change-makers. Only the ready will enjoy it. You must know which type of creativity is good for you before you can unleash your potentials. In recent years, companies now hire creative employees. Understanding the word creativity, the types, and the psychology behind it is essential.
Creativity is regarded as one of the hardest things to study by psychologists. It is because there is no end to creativity. Another person will take up from where a person stops.
What are the types of creativity?
Arne Dietrich, in 2004 released a paper on creativity from a brain and neuroscience perspective. He categorized creativity into four (4) different types with corresponding brain activities.
Deliberate and Cognitive creativity: Deliberate and cognitive creativity is the type that comes from a nurtured knowledge in a discipline or profession. Dietrich said this type of creativity occurs in the prefrontal cortex (PFC). The prefrontal cortex is right behind your forehead. He made it known that creative thinking doesn’t necessarily take place in the PFC. The prefrontal cortex allows you to do two things: (I) Focus and (II) Connects the information you have stored in your head about your said discipline.
Before deliberate and cognitive creativity occurs, you must have pre-existing knowledge about two or more topics in your field. When you are deliberately and cognitively creative, you put together existing knowledge and information to create new ones.
It requires a high degree of knowledge and information. It also requires time to connect this existing knowledge. To make people show this kind of creativity, you have to provide them with the necessary enough. It would help if you also gave them enough time.
Deliberate and Emotional Creativity: This type of creativity comes from our emotions. Due to the state of mind, some creativity can be displayed. This takes place in the cingulate cortex. Feelings and emotions ignite this kind of creativity. We have heard songs written out of excitement or sadness. Love, hate, happiness, sorrow, and so on can spark creativity.
You don’t need to have pre-existing knowledge about a subject topic. Your feelings and emotions determine this creativity. Some poems were written under the influence—the same thing with work ethics. The ability to deliver when it matters might be a subject of deliberate and emotional creativity. The state of mind affects our performance under pressure. Excitement will help build your morale, while sorrow will reduce it.
However, feelings and emotions might work in opposite ways. When a person is too excited, the person might be too comfortable to push forward. Also, a sorrowful person might find strength in it and want to prove people wrong. Deliberate and emotional creativity requires time. You can provide yourself or people with questions that require deep thoughts to achieve this.
Spontaneous and Cognitive Creativity: Spontaneous and cognitive creativity is the third type of creativity. This requires the unconscious state of the brain. This occurs in the basal ganglia of the brain. The basal ganglia operate outside your conscious awareness. When spontaneous and cognitive creativity is taking place, the conscious brain stops working. It stops to give room for the unconscious part of the brain to work on the problem. If you need to think out of the box, you need to take it off your consciousness. Doing an unrelated activity, the prefrontal cortex connects information.
The unconscious mental state then comes up with a new way. This type of creativity needs a kind of existing knowledge. There has been a famous example of this. The story of Isaac Newton formulating the gravity theory while watching an apple fall is an example. It can only happen when you stop working on the problem and doing some other irrelevant things. Answers will come when the unconscious mental state works on it.
Spontaneous and Emotional Creativity: The last type of creativity is spontaneous and emotional creativity. This comes from the amygdala of the brain, where emotions are processed. Ideas and creativity spring up when the brain and the prefrontal cortex are at rest. This is the kind of creativity possessed by great artists and musicians. It cannot be predesigned for as it happens at varying moments.
Spontaneous and emotional creativity doesn’t require any form of existing knowledge. They often deal with skills such as writing, art, musical, and so on. When it happens, they are mighty as it gives more than what you are known for.
Moreover, this type of creativity cannot be aided by drugs instead of what is regularly done by artists. Many engage in drugs as stimulants to reduce their consciousness and increase their mind functions.
Two critical components of creativity
Creativity is creating new and different things with unique values and influence. We have two components of creativity.
- Originality: Originality is a major component of creativity. It must be new and unique. It must not be an expansion or a modified version of a pre-existing thing. It’s not a bad thing to draw ideas from pre-existing things. The knowledge gained from it can be used to create something new.
The truth is that there is nothing new under the heavens. Millions of thoughts pass through individuals every day; whoever works and develops the idea becomes the pioneer. You can be shocked at others doing something you just thought about.
Creativity also affects your presentation. An idea might look alike, but a well-presented idea with unique values will be well accepted.
- Functionality: The second important component of creativity is functionality. A creative idea must produce positive results. If an idea is not functional, it is of no use.
Qualities of Creative people
- Intelligent: It is believed that intelligence plays a crucial role in creativity. But not all intelligent people are creative. According to a study carried out by some IQ experts, they said high IQ is essential for creativity. It’s safe to say a creative person is an intelligent person. Intelligence is not in terms of academics, but being able to produce out of nothing.
- Skilful: People who possess skills ranging from writing to artistic works and musicals are often referred to as creative. Creative people are skilful people. They use their skills to bring to life what doesn’t exist before.
- Energetic: Creative people invest their energies in creating new ideas. They tend to have a significant amount of mental energy as much as physical energy.
- Disciplined: Creative people are disciplined. They don’t waste time on irrelevant things. They don’t waste resources as well.
Advantages of creativity
- It helps to be more productive: Creative people have open and active minds. They are always looking for new ways to solve problems. This makes them productive Vlone.
- Creativity boosts confidence: Creativity helps you to see the bigger picture of your ideas. It boosts your confidence. Overcoming hindrances and achieving goals will boost your confidence as a capable person.
- Creativity helps problem-solving: When solving problems, creativity gives you various ways and options to explore.
- Creativity motivates you: Doing the same thing the same way will frustrate you. Why not try something creative. This motivates you to do more.
- Creativity aids self-expression: The freedom of expression is a vital part of creativity. You are not limited to any length when creatively expressing your ideas.
- Creativity helps in becoming important: Many people run away from their skills to follow up another career and vice versa. Creativity has made some people very important in the world today.
Example of creative people
Leonardo da Vinci: Leonardo da Vinci during his days, was very creative. He was an active painter, scientist, theorist, architect, and sculptor. He helped in making most of the innovations we have today possible. He designed the submarine, aeroplane, helicopter, and so on. He also functioned as an engineer.
Sir Isaac Newton: Sir Isaac Newton was an American author, physicist, astrologer, and theorist. He is widely regarded as one of the greatest mathematicians.
Thomas Edison: Thomas Edison was an American inventor and businessman. He was once described as America’s greatest inventor.
Charles Darwin: He was an English geologist and biologist. He was widely known for his evolution theory.
Creativity is not for those with special skills, and it can be applied in any field and profession. Try something new, try something different. It doesn’t harm. There is no failure in trying. If it doesn’t work, try again.